RICHARD PRICE OBE QC
Richard has over 40 years experience as an advocate and adviser in commercial litigation. He is an acknowledged expert in entertainment and media law, including intellectual property and defamation. He specialises in professional negligence work, relating to commercial matters, and clinical negligence. Popular with clients, he has been described in 'The Lawyer' as "a tenacious character, a steamroller in his arguments, and very, very practical" and clients describe him as "brilliant at absorbing the negative stuff, and extracting constructive proposals... and a great mind which enables him to see through what others might have missed”.
As a leading Silk in Littleton’s Disciplinary
and Regulatory Group, Richard brings his extensive knowledge to regulatory
cases, having spent 6 years as Chair or Vice-Chair of the Bar’s Complaints
Committees. He represents solicitors and other professionals in disciplinary
matters before their regulatory bodies with thoroughness and understanding. He also acts as legal assessor to various disciplinary panels, and
is one of only three specialist Silks appointed as an Election Commissioner to
try election petitions by which local government election results are
Complimentary to his litigious work, Richard is one of the most experienced and widely regarded commercial mediators at the Bar, and features as a leading mediator in the Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 directories, which describes him in the following terms:
- "calm manner that leads you towards a settlement" (Chambers & Partners 2013)
- "a ‘big character’, who brings a broad ‘range of skills to bear" (Legal 500)
- "excellent mediation practice" (Legal 500)
Richard is one of the country’s few leading experts on election law, and edits the leading text books on the subject.
He also sits as a Recorder in civil work.
Richard has particular experience of:
- Commercial contract disputes
- Construction of contracts and statutes
- Film, video, music and broadcasting rights disputes
- Broadcasting regulation
- Music industry manager/partner disputes
- Film financing disputes
- Civil fraud
- Duties of disclosure of banks to guarantors
- Bank ATM litigation
- Commercial Agents Regulations
- Sale of goods
Richard brings to mediation over 40 years' experience in litigating commercial, entertainment and media, defamation, professional negligence, property and construction and other disputes.
- Accredited as a mediator by CEDR in 1997. He offers a relaxed, realistic, sensible and informed approach to the mediation of all types of disputes. He is one of the most experienced barrister mediators recognised by the Bar Council and mediates round the country.
- Listed as a leading mediator in Chambers & Partners 2013, who describe him as having a "calm manner that leads you towards a settlement".
- Member of the Association of Northern Mediators and a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
- Acts as a trainer mediator for the Bar Council.
- Conducted seminars on mediation across England, and in France and Hungary.
- As well as acting as a mediator, he appears as counsel at various mediations, and advises as to the suitability of disputes for mediation.
- Richard is an expert in election law. He has acted as standing counsel to the Conservative Party on election law since 1986, but also advises returning officers and their staff on election law problems. He advises the Conservative Party in matters of Party funding.
- He acts for the Corporation of London on election law matters, and has advised as to the reform of the City franchise, and the procedure for the election of the Lord Mayor.
- He has been involved in various judicial review cases involving returning officers, the Court of Aldermen of the City of London, and the Electoral Commission.
- Editor of Parker's Law and Conduct of Elections, one of the leading text-books on election law, and is Consulting Editor of Halsbury's Laws of England, 2007 Re-Issue, on Elections and Referendums.
- Given talks and seminars on election law to local authorities, returning officers and election administrators, and has taken part as an expert in election law on Radio 4's "Today" programme.
- His work in this field has also enabled him to develop an expertise in the law of unincorporated associations, particularly as it applies to political parties, and constituency associations.
- Richard has broad experience of professional regulatory and disciplinary work. From 2002 - 2007 he was Chair or Vice-Chair of the Bar’s Complaints Committee, which handled all complaints of professional misconduct and inadequate professional service against barristers.
- For many years, he was responsible for liaising with the Legal Services Ombudsman on behalf of the Bar.
- Head of Littleton's Disciplinary and Regulatory Group.
- Acts for solicitors facing compliance and other disciplinary problems with the Solicitors Regulation Authority, and before the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal.
- Acts for other professionals who face proceedings before their respective disciplinary panels.
- Richard has regularly acted for the Conservative Party, and its Board, in relation to complaints of breaches of the Party Constitution and Association Rules, and dealt with disciplinary matters affecting Party members, MPs, Councillors and candidates. He has conducted inquiries into such breaches, and acted as legal advisor to various investigatory, disciplinary and appeal panels. Richard has advised the Conservative Party, its Board, and its officers in relation to reviews and investigations by the Electoral Commission into party political funding.
- A Legal Assessor to the Disciplinary Committee of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.
- A Legal Assessor to the disciplinary panels of the General Medical Council.
- Richard specialises in professional negligence litigation in the context of commercial disputes. He has particular experience of valuers’, surveyors’ and solicitors’ negligence (mainly work for major banks and building societies arising out of property transactions), and accountants’ and solicitors’ negligence in the commercial context.
- He also has expertise in clinical negligence cases (acting for claimants and defendant authorities), with extensive experience over many years in serious personal injury litigation