specialises in commercial, employment and sports law. He acts in cases before
the High Court, specialist tribunals or arbitration panels. John was formerly
Vice President of a corporate advisory and investment fund and uses his experience
in banking/funds, shareholder and partnership disputes. John regularly makes
interim applications in his practice areas.
John was nominated as Employment Law as well as Sports Law Barrister of the Year 2015 by a legal directory.
John was chosen by the Bar Council, Law Society and British Association of Sport and Law to be an advocate at the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympic Games; the Law Society of Scotland, Faculty of Advocates and the Management Committee of Sport Resolution to be an advocate at the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games; has been nominated an FA arbitrator on several occasions; is a panellist for Sport Resolutions, the leading domestic sports appeals/arbitration service; is an FA Rule K ‘Fast-Track’ Arbitrator; and has acted as a mediator. John is also currently Head of Littleton's Sports Law Group.
is the only junior at the Bar of England & Wales below 14-years’ call who
is ranked by Chambers and Partners in both employment and sports law. Overall
he is 1 of only 3 junior barristers ranked in those areas. Legal directory
and Partners 2015 remarks that John is "excellent at injunction work and
recommended for his handling of restrictive covenant cases". It
also mentions that "He has a really good manner with clients but
is also tenacious. He punches above his weight." (employment) It
also notes that John is involved in contractual disputes and disciplinary
proceedings in football and rugby, acting on behalf of players, managers and
agents. It is noted that "his diligence, advice, responsiveness and
willingness to see the bigger picture are impressive." (sport)
and Partners 2014 finds John a popular choice to act as junior counsel, who
is frequently engaged by a range of leading silks, and was recently led in a
substantial breach of fiduciary duties case. It notes that "He’s
got the right balance between demonstrating his intellect and fitting in as
part of a team when appropriate” and "He’s exactly the sort of person
you want for sensible responsive employment advice, and offers first-class
legal analysis.” (employment)
- Legal 500
2014 notes that "He really understands the legal framework of
sport and sports regulation”. (sport)
and Partners 2013 labels John as having "strong advocacy skills and a
smooth and charming manner with clients” (employment) and as "developing
a considerable profile in sports law.” (sport)
- Chambers and Partners 2012 describes him as "an
outstanding young Junior who pulls out all the stops to get results.”
- Legal 500
2012 recommends him for "commercial advice, prompt turnaround and
client care.” (media, entertainment and sport)
is experienced before the Court of Appeal, High Court, Employment Appeal
Tribunal, Court of Arbitration for Sport, FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber and
Player Status Committee, Premier League Adjudication and Appeal Panels, FA
Arbitration Panels, Premier League Managers’ Arbitration Tribunal and RFU
Disciplinary and Appeal Panels. He also maintains an Employment Tribunal
practice across the UK, including Scotland and Northern Ireland.
makes interim applications, final appearances and attends mediations on the
following commercial issues: shareholder disputes including unfair prejudice
petitions or derivative actions; partnership disputes within LLP and
Partnership Act contexts; bonus/commission claims; restrictive covenants;
fiduciary duties; confidential information; penalty or liquidated damages
clauses/claw-backs; agency agreements; freezing or search orders.
& Hillersden Estates Ltd. v. Heim (QBD) 2014 (Lewis J.): Delivery
up/freezing order injunction.
Housing Group v. King (Ch.D.) 2014 (HHJ Hodge QC): Delivery
Machines Ltd v. Aplin & Ors. (QBD) 2014 (Mitting J.): Freezing order
& Ors. v. Buss Capital & Ors. (QBD) 2012: Conspiracy, confidential
information, restrictive covenant, breach of contract, injunction claim. Led by
Paul Goulding QC and Damian Brown QC.
LLP & Ors. v. Attias & Ors. (Ch.D) 2012 (Sales J.): Conspiracy,
confidential information, restrictive covenant, breach of contract/fiduciary
duty claim involving 1.2bn in hedge funds redemptions. Led by Chris Quinn.
- Malik v.
Golpeykar & Harrington (Ch.D) 2011 (HHJ Walden-Smith): Whether there
was a partnership in law.
v. Norilsk Nickel International (UK) Ltd.  IRLR 976;  EWHC 1867
(QB) (HHJ Seymour QC): Contractual bonus claim.
Partnership Solutions Ltd v. Nina Strauss & Or. (QBD) 2010 (Tugenhat
J.): Non-solicit/non-compete injunction.
appears in multi-day Full Hearings, Preliminary Hearings as well as before the
EAT and the Court of Appeal, representing both claimants and respondents in
cases involving all aspects of employment law, including unfair dismissal;
breach of contract/unauthorised deduction of wages; all forms of
discrimination; "whistleblowing”; TUPE; and jurisdictional issues/practice and
EAT cases include:
Retail Ltd. v. Laws UKEAT/0188/14/DA (HHJ Eady QC): Social media
v. Amey Plc & Ors. UKEATPA/0326/13/MC (HHJ Peter Clarke): Tripartite
School & Ors. v. Richards & Ors. UKEAT/0244/13/SM (HHJ Peter
Clarke): Timing of assessment of redundancy dismissal and construction of
- Stuart v.
London City Airport Ltd. UKEATPA/1651/11/MAA (Cox. J.): Whether misconduct
investigation into alleged criminal act requires heightened level of scrutiny.
v. Hayashibara International Inc. & Ors. UKEATPA/0738/11/CEA (Langstaff
J, President): Whether a strike out and costs order should have been made.
- Odukwe v.
Partners of Hoare Lea Consulting Engineers UKEAT/0547/10/SM (Underhill J.,
President): Statutory dispute resolution procedures and time limits.
v. Pothecary Witham Weld Solicitors & Ors.  IRLR 18 (Underhill
J., President): Advice on whether a reference can amount to an act of
- Parsons v.
Burworth Estates (a firm) UKEAT/0547/08/MAA (Underhill J., President):
Statutory grievance procedures.
John is Head of Littleton's Sports Law Group, writes for the World Sports Law Report and LawInSport.com (of which he is a member of the Executive Board) and is a former international and national rowing champion. Recent instructions include:
Advice on liquidated damages clause in Premier League manager's contract.
FA Arbitration on breach of representation agreement and fiduciary duties.
FIFA & CAS cases on agent's commission, jurisdiction clauses, non-payments to player, "just cause" and compensation.
FA Appeal about interpretation of FA Rules and Regulations concerning relegation.
Classification and non-selection appeals by Paralympic champion and to Sochi Winter Games respectively (via Sports Resolutions).
Take-over of Leeds United.
Advice on George North's contract with Northampton Saints (led by Damian Brown QC).
High Court claim over FA Cup Final tickets (led by Andrew Clarke QC).
Premier League Managers Arbitration about termination payment (led by Damian Brown QC).
Jones v. Cardiff City Claim for unpaid salary and bonuses (led by Damian Brown QC).
Cross-border image rights dispute (led by David Reade QC).
Allardyce v. Blackburn Rovers & Kean Defamation action by Sam Allardyce.
Slough v. Milton Keynes RUFC; RFU v. Bristol RFC RFU disciplinaries into race and biting allegations respectively.
Regulating Agents in Sport, LawInSport
Conference, 26 February 2015
Social Media Misconduct, Lewis Silkin, 10
- Challenging Sports Bodies’ Decisions, MSc Management and Sport, Birkbeck, University of London, 14 January 2015
- Equality and Discrimination Challenges in Sports,
Sports Resolutions seminar, 5 November 2014
- The Magic of Player
Contract Termination, World Sports Law Report Player Contracts
conference, 29-30 October 2014
- Funding and Litigating Shareholder Disputes, Littleton Manchester Commercial Seminar, 1 October 2014
- Football Agents Disputes, Fladgate, 18 September 2014
- Player Contracts: Formation to Termination, Stephenson Harwood, 22 May 2014
- Unfair Prejudice, Fladgate, 18 March 2014
- Athlete Selection Challenges, Harbotte & Lewis, 17 March 2014
- Shareholder and Member Disputes, Doyle Clayton, 6 February 2014
- TUPE/Administration, Stephenson Harwood, 22 January 2014
- Football Contract Termination, Clarke Willmott, 21 January 2014
- Interpreting Commercial and Employment Contracts, Burgess Salmon, 21 January 2014
- Sporting Just Cause, Charles Russell Sports Group, 30 October 2013
- Social Media at Work, MBL Webinar, 14 October 2013
- The Right to Play, World Sports Law Report Player Contracts Conference, 11 July 2013
- Restraint of Trade in Sport, Brabners and Pinsent Mason, 19 March 2013
- Non-solicitation and non-dealing, Charles Russell Employment Group, 29 November 2012
- "New Guidance on How Clubs Should Treat Social Media
Misconduct by Footballers”, LawInSport.com,
3 February 2015
- "Ched Evans: Release, Retribution and Rehabilitation”, LawInSport.com, 28 November 2014
- "Player Contracts: FIFA Regulations on Working With
Intermediaries: analysis”, World Sports Law Report, November 2014
- "Restraint of Trade in Player Contracts”, LawInSport.com, 3 September 2014
- "Why Suarez’s CAS Appeal may succeed”, LawInSport.com, 8 August 2014
- "Could Liverpool sack Suarez?”, LawInSport.com, 23 June 2014
- "David Moyes’ Sacking and Legal Rights”, LawInSport.com, 22 April 2014
- "State Intervention into Football”, LawInSport.com, 22 April 2014
- "The Post-DJ Campbell World of Football Governance”, LawInSport.com, 11 December 2013
- "Age and Disability issues in Playing Contracts”, World Sports Law Report, January 2013
- "Fixed Term Contracts in Sport”, World Sports Law Report, November 2012
- "A study of Eurosceptic Groups 1990-97”, The European Journal, August, September
and October issues 2006
- "A good pint by way of Dickens, Disney and the Dictionary”, The Times, Law section, 10 June 2006
- "The Schuman Plan”, The
European Journal, March/April 2006
- "Let’s Raise a Glass to Old Traditions”, The Times, Law section, 11 October 2005
- "A Supreme Court for the UK; A Flawed Necessity”, BPP Obiter, May 2004