PIERRE A KARRER
Born in Switzerland in 1941, Pierre A Karrer is a top International Commercial Arbitration lawyer, specialising in construction, major infrastructure projects, oil and gas, tourism and the art trade.
Pierre received his LLM from Yale, and studied at Zurich, Göttingen, Padova, The Hague and Yale, and was called to the Swiss bar in 1969. He was Lecturer at the University of Zurich between 1976 and 2004, and was Assistant Professor of Law at Tulane University School of Law, New Orleans, between 1972 and 1974.
Pierre is the Hon. President of the ASA Swiss Arbitration Association, a court member of the ICC, Vice President of the Stockholm Institute and Chairman of the Arbitration Commission of the Swiss National Committee of the ICC.
He has arbitrated in around 250 international commercial arbitrations in a range of European, Middle Eastern and Far Eastern countries. He has acted as an expert witness on Swiss law and has arbitration-related experience before the Swiss Federal Supreme Court. His experience and expertise have led him to be listed in the top category by Chambers Global, the European Legal 500 and Euromoney The Best of the Best.
Pierre A Karrer is fluent in English, French, German, Italian and Dutch.
For further information about Pierre A Karrer please visit his website
LL.M. (1970) Yale; Dr. iur., summa cum laude (1967), University of Zurich; Law studies in Zurich, Göttingen, Padova, The Hague, and Yale.
- Independent Arbitrator;
- Partner, Pestalozzi Lachenal Patry, Zurich and Geneva (1976 to 2004); Lecturer, University of Zurich (since 1980);
- Assistant Prof. of Law, Tulane University School of Law, New Orleans (1972-1974);
- admitted to the Swiss Bar (1969).
Full-time International Commercial Arbitration practice re commercial contracts, investment protection, construction, major infrastructure projects, plant and equipment, oil and gas, raw materials, telecommunications, pharmaceutical, automobile industry, mergers and acquisition, bonds and guarantees, distributorships, licenses, tourism, sport sponsorship, art trade (1976 to date).
- Hon. President of ASA Swiss Arbitration Association;
- Vice President, Stockholm Institute; former Vice President, LCIA;
- former Court member, ICC;
- former Chairman, Arbitration Commission of Swiss National Committee of the ICC;
- Member, Comité Français de l’Arbitrage;
- Institut pour l’Arbitrage International;
- DIS Deutsche Institution für Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit;
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCI Arb);
- Milan Club;
- American Arbitration Association; etc.
Zurich, Geneva, Basel, Bern, Paris, London, Stockholm, Vienna, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Frankfurt, Munich, Berlin, Amsterdam, Brussels, Budapest, Sofia, Milan, Cairo, Bahrain, Kathmandu, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Djakarta, Hong Kong, Tokyo, New York, Boston.
ICC, LCIA, Swiss Chambers, Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce, Austrian Economic Chamber, DIS, Arbitration Court attached to the Hungarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Bulgarian Chamber, GCC Commercial Arbitration Centre of the Gulf Cooperation Council, AAA/IDRC, Chamber of International Arbitration of Milan.
Switzerland's Private International Law, 2ed, Kluwer 1993 (with Karl Arnold and Michele Patocchi); Commentary to Art. 187 PIL Statute, 2ed, 2007; Numerous articles on international arbitration. Full details: www.pierrekarrer.com.